[Mageia-discuss] Kernel handling

Egon Ashrafinia e.ashrafinia at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 9 11:37:12 CET 2010

2010/11/9 Oliver Burger <oliver.bgr at googlemail.com>

> "Erin Wilkins" <erin at sea-dragon.net> schrieb am 2010-11-09
> > Maarten Vanraes <maarten.vanraes at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > the i686 _IS_ the default one for x86 cpus
> >
> > In the standard installer. But I believe ONE uses 586 to be able to run
> on
> > as wide a range of hardware as possible.
> Exactly! The problem is: the One shell run on all possible machines, so it
> uses the i586 kernel. And there just is not enough space on a CD image to
> put
> another kernel on it.
> When you're installing from a Free you get the best kernel for your system.
> With a 32bit system using less then approximately 4GB RAM you'll get the
> Desktop (i686) kernel, when using more you'll get the Server kernel.
>
> Oliver

Thats may be correct, I dont know I never used the "free" one. The problem
is that people with light DSL ( like I do ) cant get the "Free" version of
Mandriva ( Mageia ) and the only option is to DL the One Iso. Thats also
what I think of. Most people get the One Iso because it is:

1. A smart Iso, fits on a CD.
2. Has all componens Out of the Box ( driver and stuff like that )
3. Only ~700MB to download and not 2-3GB ;)

Thus our main "consumer" are going to DL the One iso. So we have to focus on
that. And when there is a Kernel which is going to slow down my System I am
not going to use it anymore. I mean what are the main diffrents of them?
Only a few configs right? Maybe we do it dynamic and he is autodetecting the
System and config the Kernel that way. Is that possible or is then a new
building of the Kernel needed? Maybe thats the sulution. I mean where are
going to discuss here and it would realy be an improvment, when we allow
People to use a modern and fast kernel and not a kernel which is going to
slow the system ( well only a bit ) just because there are some people who
are proud the use a Pentium II CPU just to be cool. You can get a 64-bit CPU
computer for less then 200€. Thats not the problem in my eyes.
Sure it is correct, that they should use 64-Bit Mandriva. But not everyone
is doing it. We talk about general configurations and not about a short
group of people. Maybe we should think that way.

I hope you guys understand what I mean ;)

Greetings

Egon