[Mageia-discuss] Logo proposals discussion

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 22 05:57:17 CET 2010

2010/11/22 andre999 <andr55 at laposte.net>:

> So tell me : where are the positives - for the average potential user not
> already committed to Mageia ?
> I'm listening ...

They are nowhere, in no logo at all (set aside logos which carry
images of certain things like a car or a washing machine). The logo
will only start having "positives" or "negatives" after the user has
looked at what the logo stands for. If he thinks Mageia is positive
than the logo will have a positive meaning for him. Again: it is not
the logo which gives meaning to a product, it is the product which
gives meaning to a logo.

If it were the other way round Mercedes would have had to change their
logo when the protest marches in the late 60ties started to show this
(almost) same symbol. Who knows what Ubuntu's logo means? Would
anybody have cared about the logo before he tested Ubuntu?

I state that a logo only has a positive rating if 1st the product is
positive and 2nd the logo is simpel enough to be remembered.

--
wobo