[Mageia-discuss] Logo proposals discussion

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Mon Nov 22 07:54:58 CET 2010

Dale Huckeby a écrit :
> On Sun, 21 Nov 2010, andre999 wrote:
>
>> Dale Huckeby a écrit :

>>> I'd rather the flame not be outlined at all but look like an actual
>>> flame,
>>> indistinct at the edges, rising from a crystal ball. With the stylized,
>>> bounded flame it looks rinky dink, toylike, and sharpening the
>>> boundedness
>>> only exacerbates the problem. The visual elements of a logo don't
>>> *have*
>>> to literal-mindedly combine to spell out a meaning. At least,
>>> perusing the
>>> submissions, I don't see anything as ugly as SUSE's (gecko?).
>>>
>>> Dale Huckeby
>>
>> Of course !
>> A crystal ball would inspire trust in a Linux operating system.
>> Somehow, I'm not quite sure that most potential users would trust
>> "magic" for serious tools that should always work.
>> Did someone say "rinky dink, toylike" ?
>
> Personally, I would just like for it to be eye-catching and look nice.
Definitely a plus.

> I'd be pretty shallow and gullible if I trusted *or* distrusted Mageia
> due to the shape of its logo rather than personal experience or word
> of mouth.
Others might say that you would have to be pretty shallow and gullible
if you base trust on word of mouth.
You have to realise that there are mamy cultural reasons why people may
trust/mistrust, find interesting/uninteresting various products.
Firstly, the logo in question is typical of a natural gas ad in North
America.
Also used by companies selling associated appliances.
So using such a logo would be negative in the sense of signalling
"uninteresting", *before* a potential user has tried Mageia.  At least
in North America.
The magic theme would also have negative connotations for most potential
users in North America, largely based on historical abuses, and the
general disdain for "magic".  To most it means "not serious".

When I say negative connotations, I mean that people will just turn off
and not read further.  They often won't even realise that Mageia is a
serious Linux distribution.
And if they do but don't know what that means, that won't induce the
curiosity to find out.
Which is why we need a logo that is interesting, but neutral in certain
important aspects.
For North America that means *No magic* and *no natural gas*

> If people perceive Mageia as trustworthy its logo will evoke
> that judgment because it's associated with Mageia, not because it's the
> source of the judgment.
But would you really "trust" a complex product like an operating system
before trying it ?
I wouldn't.  And I'm a programmer.

> Dale Huckeby

another 2 cents :)