[Mageia-discuss] Habemus logo

Gary Montalbine gmontalbine at cox.net
Thu Dec 9 14:55:45 CET 2010

Original quoted in part.

On 12/09/2010 04:57 AM, Romain d'Alverny wrote:

> Mageia won't happen/grow/succeed without a cohesive lot of committed
> people. It is a community thing. It's not the founding members + a few
> versus all the rest; it's not an organisation versus all the other
> people. It's a whole. Its governance has been designed so that the
> very control of the project/association will go to those that will
> have been recognized as the best ones for that job. Wobo said it, it's
> a 2-way thing.

> Ok, it may sound as "we won't recruit/encourage anyone to join, they
> just have to prove themselves"; but that's not that: as I said _it is
> a grain of salt_. We do, we have to encourage people to join for good
> reasons (that's even the very first big thing the marketing team has
> as a target), contributors first. We hope Mageia as we exposed it and
> managed it to this day is a good set of great reasons.
>
> That's how/where we're learning at this time. That's why this
> postmortem is crucial (and that we expect to do one after each
> significant release/action). For it to work, we've go to accept to
> listen to open point of views, even harsh ones - that does not prevent
> us to defend our own points. We all have to take these from a distance
> to better understand the whole picture.
>
> In this, your point of view is very valuable as well as others
> (provided the language/timezone/whatever barriers, let's do it quietly
> and carefully).

Well said Romain. I am strictly a user. Very limited technical ability.
I have been using Mandrake/Mandriva since 2002. As a home user I have
found it to be an excellent, user friendly, mistake forgiving program.
Community support has been excellent. There has always been someone to
help me address my problems.

I have been following the progress on the discussion list and am eagerly
awaiting the first program. I want to sincerely thank all the
contributors/community that are working hard to provide me, the end
user, with a product that will continue the Mandriva reliability and
usability features.

Thanks, Gary