[Mageia-discuss] A name for mageia-app-db

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 12 20:08:57 CET 2011

2011/2/12 Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org>:

> Well, to me, the name market and all of it connotations is quite
> consumerist, and
> doesn't really fit with the spirit of a community distribution, based on
> collaboration
> more than pure commercial exchange as the various proposed name implies.
>
> When samuel presented his idea, I was quite interested because it would
> allows me as a packager
> to find who would be ok to test packages, to collaborate when i need
> confirmation for a bug
> and so on.
>
> But it seems that the vast majority of proposal are geared toward
> replicating the model
> of Apple Appstore, Google market and others :
> - app market, app box, software database, app center, Appworld, software
> portal.
>
> Where is the collaboration in all of this ?

Yes, I agree to this point of view. "market" is connected with
"selling", "app*" is connected with Apple's commercial appstore.

As for "agora":
While "agora" has its meaning in Greek, I wonder how many people
elsewhere know it. Over here "agora" is mostly known as part of
"agoraphobie", a psychologic desease (patients avoid any public
gathering of people, in severe cases the patient is not able to leave
his house). So, if the word has any meaning for someone here, it is as
part of something negative.

--
wobo