[Mageia-discuss] A name for mageia-app-db

P. Christeas p_christ at hol.gr
Sat Feb 12 20:30:46 CET 2011

On Saturday 12 February 2011, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
 > As for "agora":
> While "agora" has its meaning in Greek, I wonder how many people
> elsewhere know it. Over here "agora" is mostly known as part of
> "agoraphobie", a psychologic desease (patients avoid any public
> gathering of people, in severe cases the patient is not able to leave
> his house). So, if the word has any meaning for someone here, it is as
> part of something negative.

Well, I'd have to dispute that:
if you are talking about "agora-phobie", it is the second component that adds
the negative meaning, while the first one is the original meaning.
Like with "techno+phobie" that will not give the "techno" a negative meaning
itself ("techno" -> art, machinery, "-phobie" -> afraid of).

I'd be more concerned if somebody else already uses "agora" for some product
(with a quick check, I couldn't notice any "mandrake"-like case of
competition), rather than mis-interpretations.

--
Say NO to spam and viruses. Stop using Microsoft Windows!