[Mageia-discuss] Linux is a KERNEL not an OS

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 12:59:54 CET 2011

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 12:13, Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 22:29:09 -0600, Richard Couture wrote:
>
>> Throughout the pages at www.Mageia.org there are references to Linux
>> as if it is an OS or a distribution, [...]

> I would propose that if you wish to do it right, to first do it right from
> a mageia point of view. IE, that you should first post
> on the proper ml ( ie one dedicated to web, or marketing, I would start by
> marcom ). [...]

Yep. The point is relevant (common language use vs. precision) so
thank you Richard for bringing this up, in a good way.

> Second, if you really want to do it right, you should IMHO start with a
> patch, [...]

Although before a patch, the right message replacement should be
defined in marcom first.

> Three, [...]

And please avoid the "politically [in]correct" thing, it is fuzzy at
best and it contributes to defuse the stance.

As a side note, you will note that the Mageia end-product is to be
called "Mageia" and not "Mageia Linux" (neither "Mageia GNU/Linux" for
that matter). If it does, it's a matter of imprecision we can fix. And
we did launch the project as "Mageia, the new Linux distribution" -
this was a temporary launch title and it had to be short.

So the fix will be more in how we define this Mageia product as such
("operating system"? "GNU/Linux distribution"? st else?) and relative
to what it uses/gathers (GNU/Linux indeed, but not only).

Cheers,

Romain