[Mageia-discuss] Membership handling ( was: Leave )

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Mon Mar 7 12:34:57 CET 2011

 On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 12:14:49 +0100, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
> 2011/3/7 Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org>:
>> This bring the question of account management, ie what should
>> we do with a account that is explicitely dropped ?
>>
>> Ie :
>> - disable fully
>> - leave it as it is now and :
>>  - disable later
>>  - leave forever usable
>> - disable partially ( ie remove from sensitives groups ( and so
>> define
>> what group is sensitive ))
>>
>> So what about last proposal ( remove from sensitive group ) and
>> disable
>> account
>> in 6 months / 1 year  ?
>
> +1
>
> We've seen it quite often that people re-discover old interests,
> hobbies, ex-wives, etc. So, a "sleep time" of 1 year is a good
> solution.
>
> next thing is to define which are "sensitive groups / access
> permissions".

 Depend on the havoc that could be done by someone stealing a unused
 account.

 Someone posting on the forum under a false name will generate lots of
 drama,
 but nothing critical. The same goes for bugzilla, or any ml.
 Now, someone moderating a forum and wrecking havoc would be
 more problematic. The same goes for svn/git/packages/translation/etc.

 Maybe it is simple to remove membership from all group, except those
 seen as
 unsensitive ? ( ie, everything except default users group ).

 We also need to see when do we remove such access. IE, if someone after
 X months
 decide to find interest into doing stuff that requires Y privileges,
 what should happen ?

 - let him do it without asking ( keep Y privileges )
 - need to ask to have his privileges back
 - need to redo the whole system from start ?

 I guess that depending on X and Y, of course, and so we need to have
 first a list
 of Y.

 Let's try with that :
 - commit to developper svn
 - commit to packages svn
 - submit packages
 - commit to web svn
 - modifiy ldap
 - do sysadmin stuff ( log everywhere, touch to config )
 - planet subscription
 ( insert bugzilla stuff )
 ( insert blog privs )
 ( insert i18n stuff )
 ( insert forums stuff )
 ( isert missing stuff )

 I assume that we can all agree that a leader/deputy/board member
 resiging will have
 board/leader/deputy access removed.

 Kharec, maybe you have something to recommand to us, with regard to
 your account ?
 ( after all, you are the one who is mainly impacted, so it would be
 quite unfair to not have your opinion taken in account )
--
 Michael Scherer