[Mageia-discuss] Poll: Which Desktop Environment will you be using on Mageia?

Anna Lawless lalawless at wingets.co.uk
Thu Mar 24 22:43:34 CET 2011

From: Pascal Terjan <pterjan at gmail.com>
To: Mageia general discussions <mageia-discuss at mageia.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2011 4:30 PM
Subject: Re: [Mageia-discuss] Poll: Which Desktop Environment will you be
using on Mageia?

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 15:48, Tux99 <tux99-mga at uridium.org> wrote:

> Quote: Thomas Lottmann wrote on Thu, 24 March 2011 16:29
>> Le 24/03/2011 16:14, Tux99 a ?crit :
>> > I would say that if we reach 50-100 votes in the next few days then
>> > the
>> > results can be considered meaningful.
>>
>> No. Just no.
>>
>> Considering Mageia is a GNU/Linux distribution that has various
>> communities with a wide variety of users with different needs,1 50-00
>> is
>> absolutely not representative.
>
> It's a poll among Mageia users, and currently I would expect that a good
> part of people seriously interested in Mageia are at least occasionally
> reading this list (subscribed or through gmane or through the web forum
> gateway).
>
> Do you have any idea how small the samples are when they do
> "representative" surveys for TV or newspapers?
> Usually it's only 1000-2000 people to represent a whole country of 60
> milion people...

Yes but not random people.
Knowing what DE is preferred by people reading this list and with
enough motivation to register to your forum does not mean anything.
Maybe XFCE users don't like forums or don't like polls.
Maybe users of one of the DE feel that they have to defend it and the
10 users of that DE will all vote while users of more common DE don't
care about it being successful and only 8 out of 100 will vote.

On the contrary, I would think it means everything. The people who read the
ML and register in the forums should have a louder voice than those that do
not participate in the linux community. Those of us participating are the
ones that make linux what it is. If not, then why have the mailing lists and
forums and chatrooms and newsletters?

As a tester I use at least 6 Des but, as my test box is underpowered
compared to new boxes, I rarely use KDE although I like it, too many
resources used. Gnome is the preferred desktop, or LXFCE, although I do use
a lighter DE, especially when a preferred one is too heavy for my rig.
I'd like to see something like Mandriva with a choice of KDE and Gnome for
live CDs I suspect that KDE would be picked by newbies as the most
Windows-like, but it would be nice to have Gnome as well.

Lesley Lawless