[Mageia-discuss] Mageia-discuss Digest, Vol 8, Issue 2

Doug Laidlaw laidlaws at hotkey.net.au
Wed Apr 6 11:25:29 CEST 2011

On Tue, 5 Apr 2011 08:00:03 pm mageia-discuss-request at mageia.org wrote:
> Message: 8
> Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 05:33:45 +0200
> From: Ahmad Samir <ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com>
> To: Mageia general discussions <mageia-discuss at mageia.org>
> Subject: Re: [Mageia-discuss] Icons on kde desktop
>
> On 5 April 2011 05:31, David W. Hodgins <davidwhodgins at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 04 Apr 2011 23:11:20 -0400, Ahmad Samir
> > <ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com>
> >
> > wrote:
> >> plasma-applet-folderview is required by task-kde4-minimal, maybe you
> >> should make sure you have task-kde4-minimal installed :)
> >
> > I do now! :-). ?Thanks.
> >
> > /root/drakx/ddebug.log has
> > * trans: scheduling removal of
> > plasma-applet-folderview-4.4.3-7mdv2010.1.i586
> > * trans: scheduling removal of task-kde4-minimal-4.4.3-1mdv2010.1.noarch
> >
> > It seems that with those packages not on the alpha2 iso, the Mandriva
> > packages got removed during the initial install. ?That seems like a
> > problem for upgrades.
> >
> > As I did an upgrade, rather then a clean install, I didn't pay much
> > attention
> > to what rpm packages were available on the iso.
> >
> > I'm not clear on why those packages got removed yet many others, like
> > kate, did not.
> >
> > Regards, Dave Hodgins
>
> Both of those packages are on the Alpha2 ISO's
> ftp://ftp.mandrivauser.de/mirrors/Mageia/iso/cauldron/mageia-dvd-1-Alpha2-i
> 586.idx
>
> The log you posted shows that the old 4.4.3 packages were removed, (to
> be replaced by 4.6.1 packages, I think).
>
> --
> Ahmad Samir

I have had no problem with displaying icons, but I installed to a clean
partition from Alpha 1, then did an upgrade with the Alpha2 DVD (which changed
nothing.)  I should have all the 4.6.1 packages.

In my experience, while a "Task" metapackage brings in dependencies, removing
it doesn't remove the dependencies, but Dave will know better about that.

Doug.