[Mageia-discuss] Removing .la files?

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Fri May 6 03:04:11 CEST 2011

On 5 May 2011 18:33, Ahmad Samir <ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5 May 2011 14:35, Reinout van Schouwen <reinout at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In the "build it yourself instructions" for Gnome 3, it says that
>> Mandriva users need to remove .la files first:
>> http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/RemovingLaFiles
>>
>> Apparently this is also the case for Mageia. Debian has made it a
>> release goal to remove .la files:
>> http://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals/LAFileRemoval
>>
>> So, if they're mostly causing trouble, are there any reasons to keep
>> .la files in Mageia?
>>
>> --
>> Reinout van Schouwen
>> http://vanschouwen.info/
>>

> Personally, I've removed .la file in %install in 95% of the packages I
> imported/packaged in Mageia.
>
> FWIW, they're not that many packages:
>
> $ urpmf /usr/lib64/*.la | awk -F: '{print $1}' | sort -u
> getfem++
> gettext-devel
> gir-repository
> lib64acl-devel
> lib64croco0.6_3-devel
> lib64glib2.0-devel
> lib64pcre-devel
> lib64unistring-devel
> lib64xml2-devel
> virtuoso-opensource
> x11-driver-video-intel
>
> --
> Ahmad Samir

This is wrong ^; this gets all of them
# urpmf /usr/lib64 | grep \.la$ | awk -F: '{print $1}' | xargs urpmq
--sourcerpm | awk -F: '{print $2}'|sort -u |wc -l
736

And the first of the problems is gvfs failing to build:
http://pkgsubmit.mageia.org/uploads/failure/cauldron/core/release/20110505231626.ahmad.valstar.17058/log/gvfs-1.6.7-2.mga1/build.0.20110505231702.log

Maybe it's a little too late in the release cycle of Mageia 1; it
could be a goal for Mageia 2...

I am reverting changes I did in glib2.0, since it's too low in the
stack, I think more stuff will fail; this is from a clean chroot to
building gvfs:
$ grep /usr/lib64/libglib-2.0.la /usr/lib64/*.la | wc -l
20

--
Ahmad Samir