[Mageia-discuss] Easyurpmi forMageia ?

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Sun May 22 18:07:46 CEST 2011

On 22 May 2011 10:01, Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2011/5/22 James Kerr <jim at jkerr82508.free-online.co.uk>:
>> On 22/05/11 04:51, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
>>>
>>> I haven't used EasyUrpmi, but I used the other (similar) web tool
>>> SmartUrpmi regularly.
>>>
>>> My reason was not to add PLF or any other repo (MUD or other). My main
>>> reason was my dislike of the %MIRRORLIST system of Mandriva, you could
>>> get connected to a very slow mirror or even to one which was not
>>> uptodate without urpmi being able to switch to another mirror during
>>> one session (a known bug). So I used SmartUrpmi to select a mirror
>>> which I knew to be fast, reliable and uptodate instead of playing
>>> lottery with %MIRRORLIST.
>>>
>>> Today with Mageia this risk is not high because there are not so many
>>> mirrors around my residence. But I still would like to select a
>>> dedicated mirror (my own mirror) from such a list as provided by the
>>> web tool.
>>>

>> You can do that in the Media Manager, File - Add a specific media mirror
>> (the list of mirrors is displayed), or if your mirror is a private mirror,
>> File - Add a custom medium (select "create media for an entire
>> distribution").
>
> Yes, I know that but it's not the point here. I sure know how to add a
> mirror to my /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg using vi, I sure know how to add a
> mirror using 'urpmi.addmedia', and I sure know how to add a mirror
> using "Add" in the media manager in MCC. But still I normally use this
> web tool because 1) I don't have to care for typos and 2) it's soooo
> convenient.

Open "configure media sources for install and update" -> File -> Add a
specific media mirror:
- it's already there on your box if you have rpmdrake installed
- there're no typos, you don't type anything here, it fetches the list
of mirrors and you can select the one you want
- what's not convenient about that :)

This method is the GUI equivalent of doing 'urpmi.addmedia --distrib
<mirror URL>'.

--
Ahmad Samir