[Mageia-discuss] No USB on VirtualBox

David W. Hodgins davidwhodgins at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 08:45:02 CEST 2011

On Fri, 03 Jun 2011 00:01:18 -0400, Doug Laidlaw <laidlaws at hotkey.net.au> wrote:

> This is weird.  Using "urpmi --force" the command ran, but nothing was
> installed.

The --force should not be needed, but shouldn't hurt.

> I cleared out all the Mageia RPMs, including dkms-virtualbox, and ran "rpm -
> Uvh --force --nodeps"  That installed the 4.0.8 version, which compiled new
> modules. Then Virtualbox wouldn't start until I created a symlink to
> libcrypto.so.0.9.8.  I reinstalled the extension pack, but am still seeing "No
> USB devices attached" in the status bar for the guest OS.

Did you install the 4.0.8 version of the guest additions in the guest os?

Did you try creating /etc/ld.so.conf.d/virtualbox.conf with contents of
/usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.x86
or
/usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.amd64
if you are using a 64 bit install?

Did you run ldconfig after the above, and then restart VirtualBox?

Regards, Dave Hodgins