[Mageia-discuss] User support mailing list?

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Tue Jun 7 15:00:51 CEST 2011

Le 2011-06-07 08:07, andre999 a écrit :
> Renaud (Ron) Olgiati a écrit :
>>
>> On Tuesday 07 Jun 2011 06:09 my mailbox was graced by a message from
>> Michael
>> Scherer who wrote:
>>> My main argument against a separate user ml is this would create 2
>>> separate support community,
>>
>> I am not advocating a separate mailing list, but that the forum be also
>> distributed as a mailing list, or the mailing list accessible as a
>> forum, both
>> having the same content.
>>
>> One support community, with two modes of access and distribution.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Ron.
>
> For your information ...
> Earlier in the thread (2011-06-06 11:57 utc), Maat mentioned that the
> forums have RSS enabled to permit following discussions by email. Even
> following selected parts of the forums.

You are not splitting up the support community if you bridge the forums
and "user" mailist. In fact, you are enhancing it. Some of us will
frequent the mailist as our first choice of communication.  For that
matter, we should all be sharing the burden of supporting our users.
That is to say that we (the Mageia members) should all be on the user
forums bridge to user mailist to help out when we can.

You cannot split the support community when you are bridging the mailist
with the forums (and even with Gmane to complete the full circle). This
is the most effective way of advertising that  your product is based on
support without discrimination of the mode of user communication. This
is what would set us apart from other distros.

As far as rss feeds, this works only for the support team members, it
does not help in any way a user who is asking for help as the rss is
useless in this case.

Bridging all three, forums/mailist/Gmane can be done and once
implemented will be a big plus for trouble shooting and collecting data
for bugzilla.

At this early point of development we need user feedback from the user
community regarding our distro. What, I wonder, is the rationale for
limiting the chance of collecting more data from our user base?

Cheers

Marc