[Mageia-discuss] Thoughts on an install

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Tue Jun 7 15:11:31 CEST 2011

Le 2011-06-07 07:50, Michael Scherer a écrit :
> Le samedi 04 juin 2011 à 18:28 -0500, José Alberto Valle Cid a écrit :
>> On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 3:35 PM, Wolfgang Bornath<molch.b at googlemail.com>  wrote:
>>> 2011/6/4 Marc Paré<marc at marcpare.com>:
>>> Well, last time I checked and asked Skype.com if we (mandrivauser.de)
>>> could distribute a Skype rpm in one of our editions (MUD Netbook
>>> Edition) my request was rejected by Skype. To the best of my knowledge
>>> MIB did not bother to ask Skype.
>>>
>>> That was last year. If both these informations are obsolete now, pls
>>> forget what I wrote.
>>
>> Then maybe we can prepare a mageia rpm for skype and send to skype, or
>> why is a fedora rpm in download sections ?
>
> Well, people can do it.
>
> Personally, I will not. I think it is better to spend my time on
> software where the owners collaborate rather than on software where the
> owners don't.

I just downloaded the "Static" Linux version of Skype from
http://www.skype.com. Uncompressed it and double-clicked on the "Skype"
file and it works.

The steps taken to "install" the software package (the only step a user
has to do is uncompress the file) are the same amount of steps it would
take if it were in the MCC. The clear advantage of getting the Skype
site version is that you get the most recent Skype Linux version.

As mentioned by many, the Skype proprietary software does not fit the
profile of a programme that could/will be put in our repositories. Being
as it installs so easily, there is no need to package it from any
repository,

The most difficult part for users is to create the icon link on their
desktop.

Cheers

Marc