[Mageia-discuss] Thoughts on an install

Renaud (Ron) Olgiati renaud at olgiati-in-paraguay.org
Tue Jun 7 15:38:11 CEST 2011

On Tuesday 07 Jun 2011 09:11 my mailbox was graced by a message from Marc Paré
who wrote:

> > Personally, I will not. I think it is better to spend my time on
> > software where the owners collaborate rather than on software where the
> > owners don't.

Maybe we should think less of what the prog owners do, and more on whether or
not the users want/need the prog ?

> I just downloaded the "Static" Linux version of Skype from
> http://www.skype.com. Uncompressed it and double-clicked on the "Skype"
> file and it works.
> The steps taken to "install" the software package (the only step a user
> has to do is uncompress the file) are the same amount of steps it would
> take if it were in the MCC. The clear advantage of getting the Skype
> site version is that you get the most recent Skype Linux version.
> As mentioned by many, the Skype proprietary software does not fit the
> profile of a programme that could/will be put in our repositories. Being
> as it installs so easily, there is no need to package it from any
> repository,
> The most difficult part for users is to create the icon link on their
> desktop.

Just installed Skype on a new install of Mdv2010.2 (had to go back to Mdv as
Mageia lacks some progs I need) using the Skype4Mandriva_latest.sh install
script; this is in Portuguese, but works perfectly; maybe we could look into
using this as the base of a rpm that, once installed, would run the script and
download and install Skype, including put an icon wherever it is needed (menu,
desktop etc) ?

Cheers,

Ron.
--
             Les vieux donnent de bons conseils pour se consoler
                de ne plus pouvoir donner le mauvais exemple.