[Mageia-discuss] Gnome3 on Mageia 1

Christiaan Welvaart cjw at daneel.dyndns.org
Sun Jun 19 17:03:28 CEST 2011

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:

> I am a software developer myself. My main tools are the Netbeans IDE,
> a terminal and a browser so I might not have as many open windows at
> the same time as you do, but I find the window switching workflow in
> Gnome 3 actually more efficient than in Gnome 2.x, because 2.x had a
> bug where Alt+Tab wouldn't let you focus a window on a different
> workspace. Working mostly with the keyboard, the Alt+Tab / Alt+`
> shortcuts and the Ctrl+Alt+arrow keys enable me to quickly switch to
> whatever window or workspace I want. F12 for a Guake terminal and
> Winkey (activities) + incremental search (type the first few letters
> of the program you want to launch) complete the picture.

Why don't you switch to the right desktop directly? I use windowmaker
which has the key combos defined by default (alt+1 for workspace 1, etc.),
but I always define the same key combos when I use metacity for some
reason. The next/previous window and next/previous desktop operations are
clumsy.

     Christiaan