[Mageia-discuss] Gnome3 on Mageia 1

Christiaan Welvaart cjw at daneel.dyndns.org
Sun Jun 19 18:04:48 CEST 2011

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011, Fred Obermann wrote:

> My sense is that Gnome 3 is an attempt to provide a desktop for
> tablets, and smart phones, or at least a desktop metaphor more in line
> with the desktops for those devices.   And it may be great for for
> most casual users.
>
> However for development work, where you have literally have dozens of
> open windows, and are constantly switching between them in the course
> of editing and debugging, Gnome 3 is an awful substitute for Gnome 2.x
>
> Should the folks at Mageia decide to support Gnome 3, it would really
> be good if there was some option during the installation process to
> opt for Gnome 2.x for those of us will be looking at Mageia to replace
> Mandriva as our software development platform.

There are two sides to gnome 3: the gnome shell and the regular combo of
gnome panel and metacity. There should not be any reason to keep gnome 2
because you don't have to run the mode you dislike so much. There may be
bugs or features missing compared to gnome 2, so I hope enough people test
this "fallback mode" (which I currently called "gnome classic" in the gdm
session chooser) before the next release.

     Christiaan