[Mageia-discuss] MANDATORY READ : 7 days before misc unleashes CERBERUS !

Juergen Harms Juergen.Harms at unige.ch
Tue Oct 4 17:46:24 CEST 2011

On 09/16/2011 01:29 PM, philippe makowski wrote:
> You may know it or not, many packages have no maintainer.
> isn't time to set up teams ?

I did not keep the original message - what has happened in the meantime?

- has the goal concerning the number of maintainers been reached?
- is CERBERUS still on a thick chain of tungsten (I hope!)?
- what about the list of packages and their state of maintenance?
- is there any follow-up?

This issue is essential for the future of Mageia - Mageia must have a
list of maintained packages that compares favourably to its competitor
distros. I just saw a recent comment to bug 278: " ... drakx-net does
not have a maintainer ..." - drakx food for Cerberos??? I think the idea
to shout for new maintainers was excellent, and should be iterated. How
about leaning on Mageia users that have competence, but are - so far -
not actively involved? Magiea is a community distro!

Could there be more information for such techy-newbies to motivate them,
help them to jump down from the fence? Tell them what effort, what
competence, what responsibility is implied by signing up? That is a
long-term initiative! Nobody will reasonable start and immediately pick
up tons of packages, I started with 2 (well, one of them is a set of
packages). But only once I feel safe with that initial commitment I
could consider taking more (which means a couple of months from now).

I realize, Mageia is doing exceedingly well, and there is no need to
dramatize the situation - but it is not me who invented Cerberos ... And
the people who did Mageia 1 should have their hands free for doing
Mageia 2 rather than polishing up old stuff.