[Mageia-discuss] MANDATORY READ : 7 days before misc unleashes CERBERUS !

Samuel Verschelde stormi at laposte.net
Tue Oct 4 17:54:25 CEST 2011

Le mardi 4 octobre 2011 17:46:24, Juergen Harms a écrit :
> On 09/16/2011 01:29 PM, philippe makowski wrote:
> > You may know it or not, many packages have no maintainer.
> > isn't time to set up teams ?
>
> I did not keep the original message - what has happened in the meantime?
>
> - has the goal concerning the number of maintainers been reached?

The actual Goal is 0 unmaintained packages. We managed to drop it from
approximatively 5000 to 2900, not bad but not enough yet.

> - is CERBERUS still on a thick chain of tungsten (I hope!)?

Yes, this is the kind of solution that would happen only when everything else
has been tried, I think.

> - what about the list of packages and their state of maintenance?
> - is there any follow-up?

You'll find everything in the mageia-dev mailing list archives, I post regular
reports.

> This issue is essential for the future of Mageia - Mageia must have a
> list of maintained packages that compares favourably to its competitor
> distros. I just saw a recent comment to bug 278: " ... drakx-net does
> not have a maintainer ..." - drakx food for Cerberos??? I think the idea
> to shout for new maintainers was excellent, and should be iterated. How
> about leaning on Mageia users that have competence, but are - so far -
> not actively involved? Magiea is a community distro!

Yes, the ultimate solution is to have more and more contributers, of course,
we're already doing it with the mentoring program, but if you have ideas that
you can apply to find more, please do :)

> Could there be more information for such techy-newbies to motivate them,
> help them to jump down from the fence? Tell them what effort, what
> competence, what responsibility is implied by signing up? That is a
> long-term initiative! Nobody will reasonable start and immediately pick
> up tons of packages, I started with 2 (well, one of them is a set of
> packages). But only once I feel safe with that initial commitment I
> could consider taking more (which means a couple of months from now).

Yes, that's reasonable. The new wiki should be up soon, that kind of document
will find its place there.

> I realize, Mageia is doing exceedingly well, and there is no need to
> dramatize the situation - but it is not me who invented Cerberos ... And
> the people who did Mageia 1 should have their hands free for doing
> Mageia 2 rather than polishing up old stuff.

I don't understand this last sentence. Do you mean we shouldn't maintain
Mageia 1? I think this is not what you mean, but then I don't understand.

Best regards

Samuel Verschelde