[Mageia-discuss] Setting up NFS shares with MCC -- fixing etc/fstab

KevinO kevin at kevino.org
Wed Oct 19 20:29:49 CEST 2011

On 10/19/2011 11:11 AM, Marc Paré wrote:
> Le 2011-10-19 11:58, KevinO a écrit :
>
> Thanks Rama and Kevin for the optional methods ... but ... Mageia offers to set
> NFS shares in the MCC and it can't seem to do it seamlessly. I have 4 boxes with
> shares and they all have different motherboards so I don't think that the problem
> lies in any particular box. The all have the same problem with setting the shares
> and the same fix works on all of these boxes.
>
> We should make sure that the NFS shares are easily configured through the MCC as
> most households will have more than one computer under one roof.
>
> Being able to set shares easily also adds to the cool factor of a distro. Setting
> up shares through Konsole is not so cool for the average user.

You're missing a fundamental point, Marc. If your boxes can't find each other by
name (by converting the name to an IP), they can't communicate by name.

Your network is not adequately setup for that, since you haven't provided any way
for the boxes to know who they are, by name. This problem exists for ANY network
of computers, whether Windows, Mageia, MacOS, etc..

Wiki: DNS

man: /etc/hosts , /etc/resolve.com

I think there is a graphical tool in mcc to enter the names and IP addresses of
hosts. If so, use that. (I don't have time right now to boot my laptop and look)

--
KevinO