[Mageia-discuss] Mandriva 2011 looks nice

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 16 11:42:28 CET 2011

2011/11/16 Lucien XU <sfietkonstantin at free.fr>:

> It is a sort of mix between MacOS and Windows (for minimize, close button).
> The theme is not the best part, but it appears clean and light.
>
> What I'm interested is what they added to the desktop. The timeline widget is
> a good idea and seems to use much power of Nepomuk (a technology that I like
> even if it is "heavy").

Mandriva have released in September (yesterday they released the
commercial edition (PowerPack)). And in sync with the new look the new
official name is "Mandriva Desktop 2011". The main difference to
former Mandriva distributions is the design of the release. Up to
Mandriva 2010.2 you could use Mandriva in many ways, as a mini
installation, or even for a server installation. The new 2011 is only
designed for one purpose: a single desktop.
The additions you mentioned are what RosaLabs see as modern desktop,
similar to Unity (Ubuntu) and the Gnome Shell. Some like it, some
don't. All these "Welcome" screens look nice, no doubt, but from an
efficiency point of view it's a nightmare compared with "traditional"
menues. So, I would be happy if a few distributions stay free of these
smart-phone desktops to have a choice.

--
wobo