[Mageia-discuss] Mandriva 2011 looks nice

Lucien XU sfietkonstantin at free.fr
Wed Nov 16 11:08:17 CET 2011

Le mercredi 16 novembre 2011 11:02:24 Oliver Burger a écrit :
> Am Mittwoch, 16. November 2011, 10:52:50 schrieb Lucien XU:
> > Le mercredi 16 novembre 2011 10:48:02 Lucien XU a écrit :
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I have just seen that Mandriva has released their 2011 version, and
> > > it
> > > looks nice. It provides some useful things that we may be able to
> > > port
> > > to Mageia. I do not want to have their theme (even if it is really
> > > cute
> > > and beautiful, but too childish for me), but their KDM and their
> > > "simple welcome" applet are kinda cool.
>
> I have seen Mdv-2011 now while being on the OpenRheinRuhr (we were sharing a
> booth with the German Mandriva user community there).
> And I had the pleasure of installing it on one of their pcs and I am shocked
> by what they did to the system.
> The installer is crappy (installing several GB of unneeded locales and
> drivers without asking if it should remove them - has to be done after the
> installation, if you know, how to do it) and their KDE desktop is just ugly
> in my eyes. But beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder...
>
> Oliver

It is a sort of mix between MacOS and Windows (for minimize, close button).
The theme is not the best part, but it appears clean and light.

What I'm interested is what they added to the desktop. The timeline widget is
a good idea and seems to use much power of Nepomuk (a technology that I like
even if it is "heavy").