[Mageia-discuss] Why Mageia isn't a "Lion Friendly" distribution?

JA Magallon jamagallon at ono.com
Tue Dec 6 00:20:28 CET 2011

On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 15:15:26 +0100
Oliver Burger <oliver.bgr at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am Montag, 5. Dezember 2011, 14:57:06 schrieb Luiz Alberto Saba:
> > Hi guys
> >
> > Little time ago I bought a mac mini for use with my home theater system.
> > It does everything that I was waiting for.
> > HDMI output with audio (HD) & video, so I can connect to my denon
> > receiver etc...
> > The problem is: Lion can't "see" a share in my mageia machine.
> > Googling a little bit, I found that I need netatalk (which we DON'T
> > have) and a little xml for avahi (which we have).
> > Following the "pie recipe" I was able to share my Media disk (2TB) with
> > Lion.
> > Then I was wandering... Why not make mageia more "mac friendly"?
> > I think that it will be a good thing for mageia (nowadays almost
> > everyone has some apple device at home (iPhone, iPad, iPod, Mac...))
> > Comments?
>
> Just file a rpm rquest at bugs.mageia.org ?
>
> If one of the packagers is interested and has the time, he will build it.
> I personally don't care because I seem not to be almost everybody having no
> apple device and having no intent to ever buy one.
> I'm not about to give money to the worst patent troll out there...

Sorry to get late into the discussion, but I have to say that using resources
in netatalk is wasting time. OSX cat perfectly use linux servers via
CIFS and NFS. You just need a Samba server on the Linux side (to let mac box
mount linux shared volume) and on the mac side (to let linux mount mac
volumes). ATALK is mostly deprecated:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AppleTalk

volumes are shared via samba and printers via CUPS.
Anyways, it does not hurt to have a netatalk package if someone still has some
System7 macs around.

All the problem probably is just to have a correct Samba+Avahi setup. NetATalk
was much harder to configure the right way, from what I remember...

I even got autofs working on osx, to mount linux shares via NFS or CIFS.