[Mageia-discuss] Why Mageia isn't a "Lion Friendly" distribution?

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Tue Dec 6 16:08:49 CET 2011

On Monday, 5 December 2011 15:57:06 Luiz Alberto Saba wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> Little time ago I bought a mac mini for use with my home theater system.

I selected an Acer Revo, since it is cheaper, has more standard connectivity
options, and runs Linux.

> It does everything that I was waiting for.
> HDMI output with audio (HD) & video, so I can connect to my denon
> receiver etc...
> The problem is: Lion can't "see" a share in my mageia machine.
> Googling a little bit, I found that I need netatalk

AFAIK, Mac OS supports SMB/CIFS and NFS just fine. But, I don't use Mac OS or
own any Apple hardware (except a bluetooth keyboard, as no-one else seems to
make a compact bluetooth keyboard).

> (which we DON'T
> have) and a little xml for avahi (which we have).
> Following the "pie recipe" I was able to share my Media disk (2TB) with
> Lion.
> Then I was wandering... Why not make mageia more "mac friendly"?
> I think that it will be a good thing for mageia (nowadays almost
> everyone has some apple device at home (iPhone, iPad, iPod, Mac...))

I refuse to buy Apple hardware (besides said keyboard above).

Mageia works very nicely with all my other open-source-supporting devices. My
HTPC (still running Mandriva) with XBMC browses my samba shares on my laptop
running Mageia. My Nokia N900 shows the content on XBMC in it's media player
out-the-box.

> Comments?

I would personally prefer open-source friendly products receive better
attention that proprietary products that have some open-source roots but
proprietary business models and are otherwise hostile to open-source products.

But, feel free to maintain appletalk if you really feel it is necessary.

Regards,
Buchan