[Mageia-discuss] Laptop running hot

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Tue Aug 7 10:19:00 CEST 2012

Hi Anne and Max

Le 2012-08-06 07:17, Anne Wilson a écrit :

> On 06/08/12 11:03, Max Quarterpleen wrote:
>>

>> On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 11:40 AM, Shlomi Fish
>> <shlomif at shlomifish.org<mailto:shlomif at shlomifish.org>>  wrote:
>>
>> Hi Max,
>>
>> On Mon, 6 Aug 2012 08:24:34 +0300 Max Quarterpleen
>> <bogusman222 at gmail.com<mailto:bogusman222 at gmail.com>>  wrote:
>>
>>> I finally got around to upgrading my laptop to Mga2, and it's
>>> running very hot. Much hotter than Windows and Mga1. Does
>>> anybody know of any way to help this? This not only makes it
>>> uncomfortable to work, it has a detrimental effect on battery
>>> life...
>>
>> Your message is awfully short of details. What I'd like to know
>> is:
>>
>> 1. What is your laptop's model and specifications?
>>

>> It is a Toshiba Satellite L745-S4210. Specs from manufacturer's
>> site:
>> http://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops/satellite/l740/l745-s4210/
>> (I paid $100 less than that price last December at Best Buy)
>>
> I have a Toshiba Tecra, and it runs considerably cooler than my old Acer.
>>

>> 2. Which desktop environment are you using?
>>

>> KDE 4.8.2
>>
> So am I.
>>

>> 3. Which applications are you running?
>>

>> As a general rule: Firefox and Konsole. Occasionally Dolphin,
>> Dragon Player, Libre Office, Amarok.... nothing exceptionally
>> heavy.
>>
> I would normally have a heavier load than that.
>>

>> 4. Which graphics driver are you using? Is it the proprietary
>> driver?
>>

>>  From lshw: *-display description: VGA compatible controller
>> product: 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics
>> Controller vendor: Intel Corporation physical id: 2 bus info:
>> pci at 0000:00:02.0 version: 09 width: 64 bits clock: 33MHz
>> capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
>> configuration: driver=i915 latency=0 resources: irq:41
>> memory:c0000000-c03fffff memory:b0000000-bfffffff
>> ioport:4000(size=64)
>
>   *-display
>               product: Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
>               vendor: Intel Corporation
>               physical id: 2
>               bus info: pci at 0000:00:02.0
>               version: 12
>               width: 64 bits
>               clock: 33MHz
>               capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
>               configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
>               resources: irq:41 memory:d0000000-d03fffff
> memory:c0000000-cfffffff ioport:3058(size=8)
>
> Looks almost identical
>>
>> $ modinfo video filename:
>> /lib/modules/3.3.6-desktop-2.mga2/kernel/drivers/acpi/video.ko.xz
>> license:        GPL description:    ACPI Video Driver author: Bruno
>> Ducrot srcversion:     10DC2D8B4D20653B4416E00 alias:
>> acpi*:LNXVIDEO:* depends: intree:         Y vermagic:
>> 3.3.6-desktop-2.mga2 SMP mod_unload modversions parm:
>> brightness_switch_enabled:bool parm:
>> allow_duplicates:bool parm:
> [...]

I just had a laptop returned that I installed Mageia2. It also was
running hot. I turned off indexing and also turned of the 3D effects in
KDE. This seemed to cool it down. I just returned the laptop to its
owner and hope to hear from him later this week. He is running a Dell --
I don't have the model specs here as I was hoping I had found the fix
for the problem. I know the laptop has on onboard intel graphic chip and
that the owner does a lot of YouTube.

BTW ... my own laptop runs fine with indexing on and 3D effects, though
I tend to turn it off by choice.

Cheers,

Marc

--