[Mageia-discuss] UEFI and Secure Boot

Goh Lip lipg at gmx.com
Sat Aug 11 20:18:02 CEST 2012

On 08/11/2012 01:02 PM, Tony Blackwell wrote:
> An issue now in buying new hardware.  SUSE seem to have come up with a
> useful approach.

Personally, as things stand as it is, I'd opt for disabling secure boot
and if Windows 8 won't boot (with disabled secure boot), so be it.

While there are malwares through the boot process, its occurrence by
this means is insignificant and can be easily remedied if it occur. I
personally think this issue is overblown (by Microsoft) for obvious
(diabolical) reasons. I don't think we should be held ramson or play
along with Microsoft as Redhat (and Suse) are proposing to do. I also
disagree with Canonical's method where a good boot system has to be
jettisoned just to circumvent it.

For the record, I have my own (non OS) grub2 in its own partition that
boots everything (including Windows and more) but in no way this affect
my position.

I understand that for many new users, going through loops (to disable
secure boot) may not be feasible just to dual boot but while it can be
done by more experienced users, I'll just give Windows a miss if they
proceed with it.

Darn, but I cannot transfer files from my computer to Google Nexus
without going through Windows (or Apple), anybody found a way to do that
in Linux? (OTG usb won't work in jelly bean too)

Cheers - Goh Lip