[Mageia-discuss] Applications open and close

Remco Rijnders remco at webconquest.com
Fri Aug 17 04:43:56 CEST 2012

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 04:34:18PM -0700, Paul wrote in
<k0k027$48v$1 at ger.gmane.org>:
>Mageia 1.
>
>Most times when I open an application from the desktop or command line it
>will open and in about one second will close, i.e., Firefox. Recently
>installed Opera behaves normally.  I've lost Webmin after upgrade.
>Sometimes the app will open and will close with a mouse click.  This all
>seemed to happen after I inadvertently change the application open style and
>back.

So for my understanding, typing firefox at the command line in an xterm
causes it to open and then close right away on your desktop? Is anything
shown in the console when this happens?

What desktop environment do you use, and can you let us know how you
changed the "application open style"? Please give detailed instructions as
I'm unfamiliar with this terminology, though perhaps it sounds more
familiar to one of the other readers here.

>I would like to fix this without reloading the OS.

That should be doable.

Remmy