[Mageia-discuss] How to re-enable nvidia driver for new kernel?

Len Lawrence tarazed25 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 00:44:07 CEST 2012

On 23/08/12 20:12, Thomas Backlund wrote:
> 23.08.2012 21:47, Len Lawrence skrev:
>>
>> [lcl at belexeuli ~]$ rpm -qa |grep nvidia
>> x11-driver-video-nvidia-current-295.71-1.mga2.nonfree
>
> so the new x11 driver is installed.
>
>> nvidia-current-doc-html-295.71-1.mga2.nonfree
>> nvidia-current-kernel-3.3.6-desktop-2.mga2-295.49-4.mga2.nonfree
>> dkms-nvidia-current-295.71-1.mga2.nonfree
>
>> nvidia-current-kernel-desktop-latest-295.71-1.mga2.nonfree
>> nvidia-current-kernel-3.3.8-desktop-2.mga2-295.71-1.mga2.nonfree
>
> and so is the prebuilt module, so this should have worked :/
>
> What does this show:
>
> rpm -Vv  nvidia-current-kernel-3.3.8-desktop-2.mga2-295.71-1.mga2.nonfree
>
> --
> Thomas

Well now.  I have just booted up my older slower test system and
received and installed the kernel 3.3.8 updates.  This install seemed to
have worked flawlessly; the new kernel and the nvidia 295.71 driver sit
well together.  The only hitch was the initial logout from user.  This
stalled before the login screen could come up and I had to drop into
console mode to reboot which indicates that the updates had already
damaged something.  Exactly the same thing happened with the production
machine which has given all the trouble only there it was not possible
to switch to console mode.  It simply hung and I had to crash reboot.

I shall ask again if it is possible to backtrack in 3.3.8 (console mode
only) and recompile the nvidia kernel interface locally.  The 3.3.8
version is broken somehow on my production machine.  The Xorg log shows
that the system attempts to load it and smells something fishy and dumps
it.  The 3.3.6 version works perfectly but I still do not know how it
came to be there.  At one point I had run XFDrake in console mode for
3.3.8 and attempted to install the new driver (no errors reported but
the driver did not work).  Surely that would not have compiled it
against 3.3.6?

Len