[Mageia-discuss] MCC help pages - what can be improved?

Marja van Waes marja11 at xs4all.nl
Sat Dec 8 12:11:24 CET 2012

On 08/12/12 00:26, Pierre Jarillon wrote:
> Le vendredi 7 décembre 2012 20:32:04, Marja van Waes a écrit :
>> Please have a look here
>> http://docteam.mageia.nl/en/MCC/content/index.html
>
> This is not a clean text but some ideas...
>
> http://docteam.mageia.nl/en/MCC/content/system-config-printer.html
>
> Network printer This is too light: When use HP JetDirect? ipp,?
> https? etc. "Find network printer" does not work at my home . If it
> does not work, explain what to do, such as set up an IP address for
> the printer, ether fixed in the printer or better in the dhcp
> server, attaching an IP to the MAC address of the printer.
>

> Hewlett-Packard printers A word about the multifunctions
> printer/scanner. The scanner is setup with the printer. Run HP
> device manager or run hp-setup as root in a terminal. If you buy a
> new HP printer which is not in the list, you can use the nearest
> printer reference. It generally works well but sometime, the
> scanner cannot works. You can have a look to
> http://openprinting.org , search in
> http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/database/databaseintro

and help to find a solution

> http://docteam.mageia.nl/en/MCC/content/XFdrake.html
>
> Note: In case of problems, Vesa will work with most of graphic
> cards, ... If Vesa don't work, boot in single user mode and run
> drakx11 The mode which works in any case is the frame buffer
> (fbdev). It is used during the installation. Then, reboot in a
> graphic mode and use MCC/XFdrake to install the best driver.
>
> http://docteam.mageia.nl/en/MCC/content/scannerdrake.html
>
> HP multifunction printer/scanner are installed with the printer
> installer. To use the scanner with Gimp, you need the package
> xsane-gimp.

Thanks a lot for your help, Pierre.

I started working on system-config-printer.html and we'll look at the
other files, too.

It might take some time though, I don't really have a lot of time today.

Also, I'm not sure "Find Network Printer" /ever/ returns a result if
you don't start with giving the relevant IP address. Do you happen to
know?

You can already see some changes in
http://docteam.mageia.nl/en/MCC/content/system-config-printer.html#network
but they haven't been saved permanently yet.

Cheers,
Marja