[Mageia-discuss] [doc-discuss] Re: MCC help pages - what can be improved?

Marja van Waes marja11 at xs4all.nl
Sat Dec 8 18:25:55 CET 2012

On 08/12/12 12:11, Marja van Waes wrote:
> On 08/12/12 00:26, Pierre Jarillon wrote:
>> Le vendredi 7 décembre 2012 20:32:04, Marja van Waes a écrit :
>>> Please have a look here
>>> http://docteam.mageia.nl/en/MCC/content/index.html
>
>> This is not a clean text but some ideas...
>
>> http://docteam.mageia.nl/en/MCC/content/system-config-printer.html
>
>>  Network printer This is too light: When use HP JetDirect? ipp,?
>> https? etc. "Find network printer" does not work at my home . If
>> it does not work, explain what to do, such as set up an IP
>> address for the printer, ether fixed in the printer or better in
>> the dhcp server, attaching an IP to the MAC address of the
>> printer.

I didn't get as far as I wanted with the printer page, I did adjust
http://docteam.mageia.nl/en/MCC/content/system-config-printer.html#network_printer
with the above in mind, but didn't do anything with what is below, yet.

>> Hewlett-Packard printers A word about the multifunctions
>> printer/scanner. The scanner is setup with the printer. Run HP
>> device manager or run hp-setup as root in a terminal.

@ Docteam members with Calenco access

If anyone has a HP multifunction printer, can you write a few lines
about this, or maybe write the scanner page?

>> If you buy a new HP printer which is not in the list, you can use
>> the nearest printer reference.

I've seen that to work with printers of other brands as well, but I'm
not sure we should advise to try that

>> It generally works well but sometime, the scanner cannot works.
>> You can have a look to http://openprinting.org , search in
>> http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/database/databaseintro

Ah, I would not have thought about adding that link to the page about
scanners, but for scanners that are part of a printer it makes sense :).

I hope someone with a real scanner (part of a printer or not) will
write that page soon.

Or does "set up scanner" now stand for "set up scanner or webcam"? I
saw the webcam of my laptop was detected as available scanner, but I
didn't try to set it up with scannerdrake

>> http://docteam.mageia.nl/en/MCC/content/XFdrake.html
>
>> Note: In case of problems, Vesa will work with most of graphic
>> cards, ... If Vesa don't work, boot in single user mode and run
>> drakx11 The mode which works in any case is the frame buffer
>> (fbdev). It is used during the installation. Then, reboot in a
>> graphic mode and use MCC/XFdrake to install the best driver.

ha, I didn't know about fbdev :)
We'll add it.