[Mageia-discuss] audio recording (from Line In) doesn't work in Mageia 2

David Walser luigiwalser at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 29 18:52:13 CET 2012

Christiaan Welvaart wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Dec 2012, David Walser wrote:
>
>> I have an ATI TV Wonder VE video card which doesn't handle audio
>> internally, it just pipes it out a 1/8" audio cable which you plug into
>> the Line In input in the sound card, and you record the audio from that.
>> For years, I've been using the script below to record TV from it.  The
>> aumix command sets the IGain mixer channel, which controls the volume of
>> the audio that gets recorded.  Up through Mageia 1, this worked fine.
>> Now in Mageia 2, I get no sound.
>>
>> aumix -i 60
>> mencoder -tv driver=v4l2:width=640:height=480:adevice=/dev/dsp:norm=ntsc:input=0 tv:// -o tv.avi -oac mp3lame -ovc lavc -lavcopts
acodec=libmp3lame:abitrate=64:vbitrate=1800:vhq -lameopts vbr=3:br=64 -srate 44100 -vf crop=608:456:14:10 > /dev/null 2>&1
>> aumix -i 0
>
> Well all kinds of things can be wrong. Does the TV card output sound?

The TV card is fine, all that's changed is upgrading to mga2.

> Maybe the input selector of the sound card is set to microphone.

How would you check/change that?  Why would it get messed up all of a sudden?

> Why are you using OSS instead of alsa directly?

That's what mencoder uses.  It should work fine.

> Try to get things working with alsamixer if aumix doesn't work...

aumix seems to be working fine, it still sees the IGain channel and can set it just fine.  I think something else is wrong.