[Mageia-discuss] audio recording (from Line In) doesn't work in Mageia 2

David Walser luigiwalser at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 29 20:07:23 CET 2012

David Walser wrote:
> Christiaan Welvaart wrote:
>> On Sat, 29 Dec 2012, David Walser wrote:
>>
>>> I have an ATI TV Wonder VE video card which doesn't handle audio
>>> internally, it just pipes it out a 1/8" audio cable which you plug into
>>> the Line In input in the sound card, and you record the audio from that.
>>> For years, I've been using the script below to record TV from it.  The
>>> aumix command sets the IGain mixer channel, which controls the volume of
>>> the audio that gets recorded.  Up through Mageia 1, this worked fine.
>>> Now in Mageia 2, I get no sound.
>>>
>>> aumix -i 60
>>> mencoder -tv driver=v4l2:width=640:height=480:adevice=/dev/dsp:norm=ntsc:input=0 tv:// -o tv.avi -oac mp3lame -ovc lavc -lavcopts
> acodec=libmp3lame:abitrate=64:vbitrate=1800:vhq -lameopts vbr=3:br=64 -srate 44100 -vf crop=608:456:14:10 > /dev/null 2>&1
>>> aumix -i 0
>>
>> Well all kinds of things can be wrong. Does the TV card output sound?
>
> The TV card is fine, all that's changed is upgrading to mga2.
>
>> Maybe the input selector of the sound card is set to microphone.
>
> How would you check/change that?  Why would it get messed up all of a sudden?
>
>> Why are you using OSS instead of alsa directly?
>
> That's what mencoder uses.  It should work fine.

I tried changing adevice=/dev/dsp to the following things, which all also didn't work:
alsa:adevice=hw.0,0
alsa:adevice=hw.0,1
alsa:adevice=hw.0,2

Here are the sound and TV devices from lspcidrake.  This is smelling like a kernel bug to me.
snd_hda_intel   : Intel Corporation|82801JI (ICH10 Family) HD Audio Controller
bt878           : Brooktree Corporation|Bt878 Audio Capture [MULTIMEDIA_OTHER] (rev: 11)
bttv            : Brooktree Corporation|Bt878 Video Capture [MULTIMEDIA_VIDEO] (rev: 11)