[Mageia-discuss] Cultural difference: "Let your yes be yes" <---> "It is rude to say no"

Simon Parsons gm4nzg at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 09:02:00 CEST 2012

On 13/07/2012 07:42, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
> Of course I accept local habits, but we should not do this here in
> this environment. As our communication is only written, without the
> extra benefit of face mimic and body language, we need to be precise
> in such things where the answer to a question bears consequences for
> each and all. I think people working in an international environment
> should accept this.

Being English, I find all of this very interesting. Here, we say
"Pleased to meet you" when we probably are not.

I would not normally mention Germans in this context, but having German
relatives, they have told me that it is well-known in Germany that we
English say many things that we do not mean and this causes some
communication problems, but most importantly, that because of this the
English cannot be trusted. Of course, we think we are just being polite. ;-)

Simon(nzg)