[Mageia-discuss] xen and grub

AL13N alien at rmail.be
Sat Jul 14 07:15:42 CEST 2012

Op vrijdag 13 juli 2012 22:59:00 schreef Jim Whitby:
> Trying to create a grub entry for zen.
>
> I have the following at present.
>
> title Xen 3.0 / XenLinux 2.6
> root (hd0,4)
> kernel /boot/xen.gz dom0_mem=512000
> module /boot/vmlinuz-3.3.6-server-2.mga2 ro
>
> xen boots, but vmlinuz panics with ( as far as I can see )
> failure to mount unknown fs on 0,0
>
> The fs is xfs, which shouldn't be the problem. Not sure what the 0,0
> refers to, xen or vmzinuz or ?.
>
> This is a mg2 x64 install. I was kinda surprised that a grub entry was
> not created by installing xen.
>
> Anyway, does anyone have any advice on how to setup grub for xen?

We lacked testing for xen, i tried do do some testing, but it's not easy.

when creating the grub entry, try to copy the kernel parameters into the
module section for vmlinuz.

and furthermore, you'll have to have a second module section for the initrd.

We would love if you'd be able to help us out on xen testing, can you join QA
team for this? so that for pre-releases, you can test out Xen support? or
perhaps you can join packaging team, and try to do something about creating a
default grub entry. alas, i don't think such a thing is easy, and don't know
in what way to do this.

also, is 512MB enough for dom0, if dom0 is used as backend storage? i thought
dom0 required some memory for file caching?

also, with systemd, we'll have to convert the init scripts, but luckily, we
won't be needing xend (since the new xl implementation doesn't require it)

thanks in advance.