[Mageia-discuss] What is your motivation? (about American English in Mageia for British users)

Olivier Blin mageia at blino.org
Wed Jul 25 00:47:38 CEST 2012

RICHARD WALKER <richard.j.walker at ntlworld.com> writes:

> I feel I must register my support for Graham's position (insofar as I
> understand it from the précis in this thread) as I have suffered
> almost in silence for years from the jarring effect of finding
> mis-spellings of common words scattered willy-nilly in Mageia and
> previously Mandriva installations.
>
> Whilst I have come to recognise that many of these instances are in
> fact regarded as standard usage in the written form of another
> language (a closely related fork of my native language), I do not
> regard that as any sort of excuse for their persistence in an
> environment I have configured to be en_GB.

Hello,

We are "simply" missing en_GB localisation for drakxtools.

> If any Mageia "translators" are changing colour to color or centre to
> center then unless they are doing it for en_US then they are quite
> simply mistaken.

Developpers are not mistaken when they use US English in the source
code, since it is the default language used for the default C or POSIX
locale.

> If they do not understand the mistake then they would
> probably be better employed in some other work, not translation. If
> they are not native English speakers then the mistake is
> understandable (not acceptable, just understandable) but I do not
> think that there can be any justification for a policy that says en_US
> translations should be forced on en_GB users.

Right, there is no justification for that, but it's not by choice, it's
by lack of en_GB "translations".

--
Olivier Blin - blino