[Mageia-discuss] What is your motivation? (about American English in Mageia for British users)

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Wed Jul 25 12:56:00 CEST 2012

On 25/07/12 03:23, RICHARD WALKER wrote:
> On 25/07/2012, Morgan Leijström <fri at tribun.eu> wrote:
>> The system source and interface must be written in *one*
>> consistent language.
>>

> I'm not sure I understand the imperative.
<snip>
> If I expect my users to be of many nationalities then I would also
> expect to have to do some translating. The consistency of which you
> speak comes from having the translations expected by the population
> of users.

Yet surely you understand when you are told that the problem is purely
a lack of manpower.  Mageia would welcome en_GB translations.
Register to work on it.

>> And the fact is that the most common used language in the system
>> is en_US
>>
>> Therefor it should be purified to *en_US*
>>
>> And all other en_* should be translations.
>
> Again we seem to differ. I hope you didn't mean "purified", that's
> probably just a mis-translation where something like "rationalised"
> or "simplified" might have been a better choice.

No - you are wrong.  "purified" means to make one consistent language.

> Where we really differ, though, is in regarding all languages (with
> the exception of the US variant of English) as being targets for
> translation. I would not discriminate against our trans-atlantic
> cousins in that way. I would include their language as a valid
> target for translation and then we would all be equal.

This is utterly ridiculous.  There has to be a single "core" language.
 That has been chosen.  It is perfectly obvious that every other
language must then be a translation of the core.  This has nothing to
do with discrimination.

I am English born and bred, and 72 years old.  I defend my language
whenever I think it is necessary, but your stance is not defensible.

<snip>

> Sensitive cultural and social use of language is much too complex
> a subject for people who focus on logic to understand, especially
> in a foreign language.

How insular can you get?  No wonder the British are seen as somewhat
ridiculous.  Are you seriously suggesting that an Englishman cannot
understand the word "color"?  Of course not.  Please do not waste
people's time like this.  If you feel strongly that there should be an
en_GB translation of everything, then contribute to it.

Anne
- --
Need KDE help? Try
http://userbase.kde.org or