[Mageia-discuss] What is your motivation? (about American English in Mageia for British users)

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 25 14:45:10 CEST 2012

2012/7/25 Anne Wilson <annew at kde.org>:

> How insular can you get?  No wonder the British are seen as somewhat
> ridiculous.  Are you seriously suggesting that an Englishman cannot
> understand the word "color"?  Of course not.  Please do not waste
> people's time like this.  If you feel strongly that there should be an
> en_GB translation of everything, then contribute to it.

I've read all this with a growing feeling of amusement, remembering
the words of my English teacher in German High School. She being a
native speaker (born in Cornwall, studies in Oxford) always told us
that there is no such "official English language" as it is the case
with German (as example) where you have official dictionaries and
official orthographic and grammar rules. There are even different
schoolbooks for English in German schools (depending on the district
(Bundesland)).
A couple of decades later I had some nice discussions with an English
proofreader of computer manuals about this or that tiny bit where he
claimed that this or that sentence is wrong, and we searched the
different aknowledged dictionaries and found different possible
"correct" spellings and phrasings.

So, standing up for "your language" in such a way, even accusing a
small group of voluntary community contributors is quite off the track
IMHO.

BTW: I've been to England quite often, most places I have been people
talked everything else but not that "official" English you are so hard
fighting for.

Solution:
Join the i18n team, gather other people around you and do a en_GB
translation of all the packages. These will be then implemented in
MGA3, depending on the status of completion.

--
wobo