[Mageia-discuss] What is your motivation? (about American English in Mageia for British users) (Tony Blackwell)

bschroeder at internode.on.net bschroeder at internode.on.net
Thu Jul 26 00:34:46 CEST 2012

On Wednesday 25 Jul 2012 14:39 my mailbox was graced by a message from
Tony
 Blackwell who wrote:
 > As an Aussie who is highly unlikely to ever see the worth
 > vs effort of an en_AU translation,

 Mageia in Strine ?

 Shades of Afferbeck Lauder !

 Cheers,

 Ron.

(My apologies for the formatting supplied by my web-browser email
interface)

Another little item I have discovered about various Englishes.
American English
has had a significant Irish input.  Much of Australia had a lot of
Irish convicts in
its early days and its English bears a noticeable  Irish influence
too, though
nowhere near the extent of North America.  South Australia (where I
am from)
did not have this and thus South Australian English is more directly
descended
from official 19th century English English (so far as such a beast can
be said
to exist).

Brian.