[Mageia-discuss] Multiseat and pulseaudio

AL13N alien at rmail.be
Mon Nov 19 20:09:11 CET 2012

Op maandag 19 november 2012 22:33:23 schreef Glen Ogilvie:
> Hi,
>
> Been trying to get pulseaudio to do what I want in a multiseat
> configuration.
>
> I have multiseat X working correctly, and both users are in the same room,
> so would like
> the sound for both users to come out my single set of speakers.   I have
> however,
> been having some trouble getting pulseaudio/ConsoleKit/policykit to do what
> I want.
>
> Has anyone setup something like this before in Mageia 2?
>
> My current problem is, that whoever logs in first gets the sound card, and
> the
> other user gets a pulseaudio dummy server.   I have found a few different
> blog posts, some recommending running pulseaudio --system.   This however
> seems more difficult than it should be, and when I try, I get the error:
>
> Failed to acquire org.pulseaudio.Server:
> org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Connection ":1.683" is not allowed
> to own the service "org.pulseaudio.Server" due to security policies in the
> configuration file
>
> I think this is because I might need to add something to
> /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/
>
> but, I am not sure exactly what, or how this works.
>
> Suggestions would be welcome.
>
> Regards
> Glen Ogilvie

this likely is not the same thing, but i have multiple sessions on this
machine and only the active one gets audio, and it switches when you switch
vt.

maybe it's more related to the determining of active session? (i assume with
multiseat, you mean you have 2 screens, 2 keybs, 2 mouse, and 2 soundcards? or
maybe one? with multiple devices? or have you set up alsa to use dmix? so that
multiple pulseaudio servers will actually get a valid soundcard?