[Mageia-discuss] /var/lock/tty on Mageia 3

Juergen Harms Juergen.Harms at unige.ch
Fri Nov 30 18:48:45 CET 2012

I am having problems with utility programs that do serial I/O and use
locks in /var/lock/tty (and they often require group ownership of this
directory to be dialout (back in the past it was tty).

In the past, it was sufficient to create /var/lock/tty after system
generation. In Mageia 3 /var/lock/tty now disappears at each reboot,
which breaks the locking facility of these programs (in Mageia 3
/var/lock/ is a link to /var/run, which in turn links to /run)

Is this design, a bug, a consequence of the run-dir support that comes
with Mageia 3? I guess it is the last. What can be done to make these
programs work again (they run at user level and do not have the
priviledges to, at run-time, create /var/lock/tty with the correct
ownership)?