[Mageia-discuss] /var/lock/tty on Mageia 3

Juergen Harms Juergen.Harms at unige.ch
Fri Nov 30 23:28:26 CET 2012

On 11/30/2012 08:50 PM, Thomas Backlund wrote:

> Add a /etc/tmpfiles.d/<app_name>.conf
>
> with the contents:
> d /run/tty 0775 root dialout -
>

> --
> Thomas

Thank you, I did not know about tmpfiles.d (which even has a man-page).
That is more correct than the quick fix I had done locally (append the
creation to my /etc/rc.d/rc.local).

There is one issue that is intreaguing: I had already seen, before
posting my original mail, that sometimes /run/lock (sorry for the typo
in that mail) is linked to /run, sometimes it is a plain directory -
sometimes meaning one boot creates the link, another boot does not.

Correspondingly, creating /run/tty sometimes makes /var/lock/tty exist
as a link to that target, but sometimes leaves /var/lock/tty as
non-existing since there is only the link /var/lock -> /run/lock but not
/run/lock -> /run. Looks like a random bug.

Juergen