[Mageia-discuss] network tools and ipv6

Jim Whitby jim at whitby-jr.org
Mon Sep 10 21:21:10 CEST 2012

Isn't it time to add ipv6 to all the network tools?

I realize *most* hosts are not using ipv6, yet. There are a lot of us
who are though and more coming all the time.

Most of the top web sites have it available. Comcast is making it
available. Verzion will be this fall.

Having the tools ready and debugged would be a big help to those who
want/need to make use of it.

An example:
net_monitor ignores anything ipv6 ( will not show up even in connections ).

All the underlying info is there, ipv6 functions well at the net layer.
It's the tools that are lacking.

The closest I know of to working is net configure in mcc. It has a
checkbox for ipv6toipv4, but this is almost never used.
ipv6inipv4, yes ( tunneling ).

So, what do you guys an gals think?
Should we be prepared for the future?

Jim

--
Never argue with a fool -- people might not be able to tell the difference.