[Mageia-discuss] Making the serial port available to all

Renaud (Ron) Olgiati renaud at olgiati-in-paraguay.org
Mon Sep 17 13:48:46 CEST 2012

On Monday 17 Sep 2012 03:08 my mailbox was graced by a message from Alejandro
López who wrote:
> > I have a problem, in that whenever I want to use the USB Serial port at
> > /dev/ttyUSB0 I have to log in as root.
> > I wonder if the way to solve this is by adding a rule
> > /dev/ttyUSB0 root root 777 in Mcc > Security > Settings > Permissions or
> > is there another way ?
> > I have tried to change the permissions in /dev but they always revert to
> > 660 after a time.

> The devices in dev are recreated with each boot. This explains why they
> loose the permissions. udevd is responsible for creating them at boot time,
> following some rules. You need to modify those rules. If I remember
> correctly, they are located in /etc/udev/rules.d/.

I think I finally found a simpler solution:
/dev/ttyUSB0 (like all the /dev/ttyS*) belongs to the group dialout.

So I just added my user to that group ("usermod -a -G dialout user" as root)
and logged in again.

And I can now download my GPS data as user !

Cheers,

Ron.
--
               I'll defend to the death your right to say that,
                      but I never said I'd listen to it!