[Mageia-discuss] Making the serial port available to all

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Mon Sep 17 14:44:35 CEST 2012

On 09/17/2012 07:48 AM, Renaud (Ron) Olgiati wrote:
> I think I finally found a simpler solution:

You should enter a bug report for this, as there is probably more going
on here than simple Unix permissions.

When dinosaurs roamed the earth, Unix systems were multi-user, and it
was expected that the sysadmin would use the groups to parcel out device
permissions.  As Linux distros have moved more and more towards
single-user systems, permission mechanisms have changed.

/dev devices are now created dynamically (as already pointed out)
according to rules supplied by the packages you install.  The theory is
that you only end up creating /dev nodes for devices you will actually
use, rather than the cast of thousands that used to be created
statically for every possible need.

And access to common devices like CD drives and the audio system is (I
believe) done dynamically now as well, by packages like polkit and
systemd, which take their configuration from places other than /etc/group.

As a USB tty is not a common device, it may well have fallen through the
cracks of these new mechanisms, and should probably be addressed there.