[Mageia-discuss] [Poll] What are your top requirements?

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sun Jan 29 16:06:05 CET 2012

On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 14:37:32 +0100
Oliver Burger <oliver.bgr at googlemail.com>
wrote:
> 2012/1/29 Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com>:
> > 2012/1/29 Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net>:
> >> On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 06:03:28 +0100
> >> Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com>

> >> That's a rather silly answer isn't it? You are asking users' feedback
> >> and then tell them that you don't care about it.
> Well, you told him how other users function, based on what knowledge?
> You can say something about how you function, but saying something
> about how most users function is a bit strange, don't you think?
>
> Just let us decide on our own, how we do function.

Well this is becoming quite sterile. I don't know how you can claim to
represent (let alone "decide") "how [we] users function" better than
anybody else. Unless you are the only user, of course :-)

I would also point out that the listed requirements will have varying
importances depending on the software and the use case. For example, a
crashy basesystem or X server is very much a critical issue. On the
other hand, I personally don't care if KDE is crashy since I don't use
it. And even for some applications that I use (e.g. Brasero), I can use
an alternative if it's not reliable enough.

Similarly, I may want the latest version of a piece of software because
it has some important feature or improvement (e.g. performance
improvement). On the other hand I won't care about the latest Evolution
version because the current one has all I need. So "I want the latest
software" is not something I can either agree or disagree with: it's
simply too vague.

etc., etc.

Regards

Antoine.