[Mageia-discuss] wireless success story

TJ andrewsfarm at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 01:38:50 CET 2012

On 02/23/2012 10:58 PM, andre999 wrote:
> TJ a écrit :
>> I have to wonder though how I'll get the firmware I'll need to make an
>> Internet connection when I install Mageia 2 from the DVD if it's not
>> on there and I'm not within reach of an Ethernet cable.
>>
>> TJ
>>
> If you do a release upgrade, you will have all your existing software
> available during the upgrade. It is only if you do a fresh install that
> the lack of wireless firmware will be problematic.
> (Which is why I think that at least those packages should be on the dvd.)

Yeah, that's the thing - I've always done a clean install (usually
retaining /home) rather than an upgrade. I was advised to do that way
back when I went from Mandrake 8.2 to 9.0, and the practice has served
me well. While I hear it less often now than in the past, I have heard
of people having troubles from an upgrade that disappeared with a clean
install.

Once I finally achieved enough extra hard drive space, I started doing a
clean install on a separate partition for personal testing purposes
before committing to the new release for my production install. That
practice has also served me well, so far.

TJ