[Mageia-discuss] One Beta more install story

WALKER RICHARD richard.j.walker at ntlworld.com
Sat Feb 25 21:04:49 CET 2012

"Udisks daemon (udisks-daemon) is not running or not ready"

That is an error I got on first boot after clean Beta 1 install which
prevented me from using urpmi to fetch a small load of stuff  missed
during the install (namely lxdm, xrandr, leafpad).

I had a quick hunt and discovered I had udisks2 and no udisks. I
thought the error was a complaint about missing udisks, so I installed
it through the file browser from the DVD. My urpmi problem went away
and I thought everything was now fine, but in fact it appears that:
1. I don't need udisks
2. presence of udisks with udisks2 prevents correct automounting &
unmounting of floppy

udisks is covered in Bug 4645. Missing lxdm is Bug 4644 and missing
xrandr is, as you say, Bug 4649

Yesterday I did a repeat fresh install, trying to keep to the same
methods and choices. Again I had udisks2 and no udisks, but urpmi
worked without complaint. I do not know why.

I hear what you say about wpa_supplicant thing and the long term
Mandriva issue with the network failure message during install, but
all my systems are wired ethernet and this has been happening for me
for years. The Beta 1 install network failure is, perhaps, exploring
new areas of users' patience as it takes a whole 118 seconds to
complete with the bogus error message.

On 25/02/2012, Juergen Harms <Juergen.Harms at unige.ch> wrote:
> On 02/25/2012 02:10 PM, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
>> This a rather old one (may be even inherited from Mandriva):
>> https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1452
> Great, no need to do bug filing. I spent this afternoon with an
> additional serious problem that concerns the udisks daemon. It makes
> locally building packages on a chroot cauldon partition (Mageia 2 beta
> 1) very diffcult or impossible.
> Doing urpmi on the chrooted system (with packages also to be fetched
> from the install DVD), the install fails with "Udisks daemon
> (udisks-daemon) is not running or not ready". I have seen several
> discussions mentioning rather similar problems, but I am not sure how
> these problems relate to each other.
> To a certain degree, using rpm -i is a - rather clumsy - workaround,
> When I need to install several tens of packages with dependencies from
> both the DVD and remote repositories, things become very awkward. This
> might be related to bugzilla #4649, but I still need to explore
> (installing xrandr does not help).
> Juergen

More information about the Mageia-discuss mailing list