[Mageia-discuss] home network using broadband router

WALKER RICHARD richard.j.walker at ntlworld.com
Thu Mar 8 02:03:37 CET 2012

OK, it is all looking a lot clearer now. Your router can do what you
want, I believe, provided it is on the same network as your 2 PCs.

It's a private network. I was worried that your PCs may have had
public addresses from your ISP so I didn't want them exposed here
while we figure out what is wrong. We don't need to be quite so
careful now and that should speed things up.

The only address left to wonder about is the private network address
of the router itself. It has the public address assigned by your ISP
on the WWW side, but its LAN address should be in your network range.
>From your mask we know that you have "only" 256 addresses to play with
so the router should have one of those. That means that the first
three octets of the addresses for PC1, PC2 and the router must be the
same; probably 192.168.0

If that's the case then you should be able to ping the router and the
other PC, and nmap the network. Let's try that again, this time post
your output as the only addresses will be private anyway. Don't forget
to disable the personal firewalls on the two Mandriva boxes.

We are expecting nmap -sP 192.168.0.* to report 3 hosts; the two PCs
and the router. If we don't see all three, then as suggested above we
need to look at the routing tables to make sure they are  correctly
set. Just enter "route" in a root console on each PC and post that
output too.

The next step, if we need it, is to double-check the configured
settings in the router. I hope you can access that from your
browser;-)