[Mageia-discuss] home network using broadband router

WALKER RICHARD richard.j.walker at ntlworld.com
Fri Mar 9 18:47:41 CET 2012

Hi Jeff, I was a bit pushed for time last night. Yes, I am still using
DHCP. I suppose I am just being lazy but I set up my Smoothwall
firewall ten years ago to function as my network's DHCP server and I
haven't given it a second thought since then - apart from updating to
Smoothwall 2 about six years ago.

The bit about the personal firewall could do with a fuller discussion.
Having the firewall on or off doesn't change your exposure to the
problem as your NFS server simply does not respond to requests from
remote clients. Omitting the port configuration line gets it working
again, BUT, it appears that the personal firewall in Mageia must be
expecting the server to be listening on 4003, and now it isn't, so the
"fix" doesn't work with the firewall. It is only a workaround and I'll
need to do a little more digging to find out why the port 4003
assignment doesn't work the way it does when the NFS server is first
configured in MCC.

It looks like Mandriva 2010.2 is also immune to the problem, which is
interesting as it also uses rpc.mountd and the same port assignment.
It might be more to do with how the services are stopped and started
rather than an actual whoopsie in the server code. I'll take a much
closer look in that area; having a working system and one with a
problem should make it a little easier to spot the cause, you'd think.

Richard